Places to see, things to do
No 63 Northgate is nestled in the centre of Peebles and surrounded by stunning countryside. Outdoor activities for people of all ages and interests are accessible right outside your door.
Be sure to take advantage of our outdoor activities, including:
- Hiking-The John Buchan Way and The Southern Upland way are two of many and varied walking routes and trails in the area. For more information, maps and trail guides, visit the tourist information centre in the High Street
- Go Ape at Glentress Forest. Go Ape is Peebles latest tourist attraction and features Go Ape's highest zip wire. For more information and booking, go to www.goape.co.uk. As regular users of Go-Ape, we are able to offer a 15% reduction. Please contact us for details before making your reservation.
- Fishing on the famous River Tweed
- Mountain biking at Glentress Forest and Innerleithen. Glentress Forest, 2 miles from the centre of Peebles is The Scottish Borders premier tourist attraction. Forestry Commission Scotland has made a huge investment into the forest, developing the already exciting bike trail network. In addition to the graded trails there is also a magnificent multi-graded free-ride area. A cafe, bike shop, bike hire and showering facilities are available on site. Go to www.glentressforest.com for more information.
- Golf - Courses in Peebles, Cardrona and Innerleithen
- Horse riding at The Peebles Hydro stables: contact 01721 721325 and Kailzie Equestrian Centre
Picture gallery: Outdoor activities
Not feeling particulalry active? Don't worry. There is plenty to do in and around Peebles to keep every member of the family happy.
- Peebles has a busy and eclectic high street with more independent retailers than any other High Street in the country.
- Award winning restaurants like Osso - awarded a Michelin Bib Gourmand in 2011.
- There are several art galleries in the town: The Moy Mackay Gallery, The Cairns Gallery and McHardy's Art & Framing to name a few and The Tweeddale Museum & Gallery in the library on the High Street
- Savour a freshly made cake and coffee at 2011 UK Confectioner of the year Cocoa Black or if fancy creating your own chocolates book a place on one of their local courses.
- The Eastgate Theatre: presents a year round performance programme including dance, drama, music and film productions. Exhibitions in the studio and community events.
- Historical buildings like Neidpath Castle and Traquair House; the oldest continously inhabited house in Scotland.
- Peebles plays host to numerous festivals throughout the year; The Peebles Art Festival and The Beltane, an annual celebration of local legend, history and tradition, held over a week at the end of June.
- Pamper yourself at the luxurious Stobo Castle, a 5 star health spa and hotel 7 miles from Peebles. Day packages available
- Jump on the No 62 bus (leaves at the top of the road outside the Post Office) and spend a day in the capital city of Edinburgh
- Visit Dawyck Gardens, one of the world's finest arboreta and the walled garden at Kailzie Gardens where you can play on their 18 hole putting green, fish in their trout pond or watch the Ospreys at the viewing centre.